Seeing that we spend one-third of our life in bed, it means that we tend to spend a lot of time with our heads pressed to our pillows and one can’t begin to imagine how dirty they can get. It is imperative that you know to properly clean your pillows so you can’t get rid of dirt when they become dirty.
Your Memory Pillow, like all pillows, requires proper care to ensure that its longevity is assured. You need to understand how to take proper care of your memory foam pillow so you wouldn’t cause damages it to while cleaning. This article will help you know just how you should care for your memory foam pillow.
Before we dive in, here are a few rules to know about caring for memory foam pillows: you shouldn’t machine wash your memory foam pillow as this can damage your pillow’s makeup structure. You shouldn’t use a dryer on your memory pillow, this can cause heat damage. You should not scrub your pillow too roughly. With those out of the way, let’s go straight to how you should clean your memory foam pillows.
WASHING YOUR MEMORY PILLOW
It is typically recommended that you wash your memory foam pillow at least once every two months. However, our Memory Foam Pillows come with easy-to-wash detachable covers that you can throw in the machine to clean at least weekly.
To wash your pillow, fill a large bowl/tub/sink with lukewarm water then add in a small amount of mild detergent. Avoid using harsh cleaning products as they can lead to chemical buildup and damage your pillow. Dunk in your pillow and gently squeeze to lather the soap then squeeze repeatedly to get rid of dirt. Keep doing this until your water is clear enough to indicate that your pillow is clean. Air dry your pillow outside or in a properly ventilated space.
GENERAL CARE INSTRUCTIONS FOR MEMORY FOAM PILLOWS
- Read the instruction label that comes with your pillow.
- Invest in pillow protectors to help minimize a buildup of dust and dirt on your pillows.
- Vacuum your pillow’s surface at least once a week. This would help to remove hair, dead skin cells, and other foreign particles from the surface.
- Change your pillowcases at least once every week. Not only will this help your pillows but it would also help you enjoy healthier sleep.
- Clean spills immediately after they happen. This can be done with soapy water and a soft washcloth/sponge. Blot out the spill until there is no stain then tap the pillow with a dry towel until almost dry then leave to air dry outside.
- For tough stains, you can add baking soda to your cleaning as this would help remove tough stains easier and better than detergent.
- You can deodorize your pillow with baking soda and some essential oils (based on preference). Remove the pillow from its cover then sprinkle the baking soda all over it. Leave the pillow in the sun for about 2 to 3 hours then vacuum to remove the baking soda.
- Memory Foam pillow cleaning is best done on a warm and sunny day so the drying process can be fast and thorough. You want to make sure that your pillow dries completely so there is no buildup of mold and mildew.
You can invest in a quality pillow but if you don’t appropriately care for it, you wouldn’t enjoy the quality it is designed to give you. Understanding your pillow type and how best to care for it is an important step in ensuring you get the most out of your pillows.